Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I hate cars, cause I love them...

I hate modern heavy pieces of junk some people call cars.

I hate misconceived bundles of plastic some people call cars.

I hate most of the crapy means of auto-transportation out there, sold as cars for incredible prices.

But I love Cars. Cars with at least a C for character. Or an S for soul, a P for pleasure, an R for rewarding, an F for fun. Or more than one of those. But definitely not a B for boring, or U for unreliable.

My current car has several of the above, while being an efficient people carrier at the same time.

When it was on sale, it wasn't very successful. Because people were buying heavy german diesel tug boats with "more room", "more equipment" and allegedly "more confortable" and "more economic". Well that is not what I look for in a Car.

My car's chassis and suspension is 10x better than those, it doesn't even feel like a 7 seater. It does not roll when cornering, it's Rewarding.

The VTEC has Soul (much, much more than a laggy Turbo Diesel tug engine).

The car is Fun to drive and you can get a lot of Pleasure out of it, without it getting uncomfortable.

It looks unique (there are not 3 of the same around with different badges), elegant (not like a supped up Transit van) and all that gives it Character.

On top of which it's also remarkably simple (no unnecessary gadgetery) efficient and reliable.



To help make my point, here are a couple Cars I love:

Toyota GT 86 / Subaru BRZ
Godzilla (Nissan GT-R) and "Nibbles" (as I like to call the Juke-R)
Honda NSX
Ferrari 458
any 911
Boxster
Cayman
Honda S2000
Mini (original)
Alpine A110
Honda Civic EU up until 2006
(when they ruined it by "removing" the rear suspension and placed a piece of iron to hold the wheels together).
Datsun 1200 (and the 1600 SSS) aka b510
Toyota AE 86
BMW e39 530D
Ferrari 288 GTO
Aston Martin V12 Vanquish
BMW e60 M5 (V10)
any M3
almost any Corvette
Ferrari 599 GTO
Mercedes SL 190
'76 Golf GTI
Ferrari 250 GTO
BMW X6 M
Lacia Stratos
Citroen Dyane
Ferrari 512 BB
any RWD Toyota Celica


...and some I do not:

VW Beetle
New VW Beetle
New Mini
New Honda Civic (EU)
any modern Mercedes SL
any SLK
Scoobies
EVOs
Ferrari FF
Porsche Cayenne
Corvette 305 "California"
Pontiac Fiero
almost any Audi, including the Quattro road car
BMW X5, X3, X1...
Ferrari 308/328, 348, 360, 430...
any Toyota Corolla (except the EU AE-86 disguised as a Corolla)
any FWD / AWD Toyota Celica
any FWD overpowered tire shredder modern hot-hatch that pretends to re-invent the GTI or the Type-R


I'll keep updating the list...