Friday, May 10, 2013

The electric car...

The serious electric car is good.

I'm not gonna go about dissing on "hybrids" and petrol locomotives*. I'm writing this to say electric, done properly, is good.

No mater how much hate, roadblocks and lobbies they have to fight. Sooner or later, all cars will be fully electric.

The sooner manufacturers evolve and adapt, the sooner they can make proper electric cars. And by proper I mean this:


That's 99/100 from consumer reports.

And it actually scored above the charts (110) but got points deducted for being released in a world that lacks general electricness to support it properly (via Jalopnik).

And... it drifts too!


So, forget the green/blue colors, the eco lights and modes, and all the marketing crap you're making up, and just make a proper car, that happens to be an electric one. That's what Fiat kind of accidentally did (as stated before).

Of course my "family man" status would mean more in the lines of this instead:


But first prices need to come way down. And accessible cars need to be made, well, accessible. By means of mass production (reducing costs) and creating competition (usually = lowering prices). It will take a few years to happen. Too many obstacles from the established "system". Too much petrol to sell yet, fat companies to leach on it from extraction to distribution, and jobs to save/convert.

Anyway I do not see myself buying another petrol/diesel ICE (internal combustion engine) car. Ever. Unless it's for collection purposes, and/or I suddenly turn rich and can buy a GT-R.

Meanwhile, guess I could always turn my Datsun into a zombie while I wait...


Hey, it even kicked a GT-R in a drag race...


* the Ampera works like a diesel train locomotive. When there is no power in the batteries, it's petrol engine produces electricity that then drives the car. That's kind of cheating.