Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Project Datsun 1200. Day 2.

Well, all 3 tyres held up and I got the spare after removing 2 (!) dashboards out of the trunk. One is the original, the other I think I got it from a friend before his car got scrapped.

Spare is in much better shape than any of the rears (I tended to destroy those fast). So I filled it and got out the magic spray and screwed the nuts in and out a couple times before assembling them definitely:

 


Then for some pushing. I traded them places, stored the Dyane in the closed garage (also by hand, damn thing never starts now, starter just won't turn) and placed the Dato on a more open and easy to work space:

 


Before covering the engine, I just had to do a couple more things. As expected, the brake and clutch pedals went to the floor (clutch is hydraulic). Front brake pump cylinder was completely empty, clutch was too with a gooey residue on the bottom but rear brakes still have fluid. Covers are good:



Air filter looked good but it's ruined. Gonna get a KN washable to replace it (as I have in the Stream and Hornet) so I never have to get another crapy paper one:



To end I decided on removing the airbox. I had to, to gain access to more stuff, but also I wanted to clean up the engine cover and oil lid. It was an awesome feeling seeing old blue again. Still gonna have to remove and paint it, but I just wanted to see it again:



The rubber that connects the airbox to the carburetor is ruined and the airbox also needs painting so I took it home to work on in the future.

With the airbox out, I sprayed the outside of the brake and clutch pumps with the magic fluid so I can start working on them in the next few days/steps.

The engine turns easily so the mechanic says it'll start on it's own, with some petrol, a battery and jumper cables. So my goal is to get the clutch and brakes working before trying that. That way I can get it out of the garage and into the (tow and then the) body shop.

I also want to do as much work on it as I can so I don't have to pay for it. It's simple mechanic disassemble and reassemble, some rubber replacements and some deep cleaning. 

Next steps:
1 - take off and carefully sand the inside of the brake and clutch hydraulics, reassemble and replace fluids. Then drain the air out.
2 - change oil and spark plugs, and check the distributor. 



I got a smile so big on my face it hurts!