Thursday, June 27, 2013

Project Datsun 1200. Day 3.

...or night 3. Or day 4, cause it's already Thursday. Or whatever.

Didn't touch it today. Long day, soccer on the tube and then Tennis. And it was great match with a Portuguese victory!




Anyway, I still "worked" on it as I went on the web and started to get a notion of prices of bits and parts I'll need to get. This is what I learned so far:

a) prices vary immensely, and so does quality.

b) as I expected, doing most of the small tasks and recovering parts will come a lot cheaper than buying new.

This is a good incentive to do so, not that I needed it. Cheaper or not I want it to be as original as possible, and that means using it's own parts or at most used but original replacements. Here's an example:

Main brake pump:
new - €300
reconditioned - €200
repair kit - €20
buying only the necessary new rubber bits locally and recovering the rest - €5

(better keep this one for future reassembly reference)

Obviously the "wear" material is the only thing you need "new" for it to work properly. The rest is just manual work and time.


Also sourced the window rubbers. I will have to buy some of them. Some are the same for all (2 door, 4 door, wagon, ute or coupe), but the door and rear windows are model specific. Will the "universal" all window kit cover all sizes? I'll have to find out.

(ventilator)(not my own)


Then there are glass "runners", door seals and boot and bonnet ones... and prices are all over the place.

I'll have to take a good long look at this, but I have time. I wont need them until the body is done, so I guess I'll eventually find a good bargain on them.

Unfortunately I just don't know which ones do need replacement yet, cause I can't even see the windows or the metal under all that cement dust:

(that's mine)



So for day 4 (or night or whatever) I'm gonna try and clean all that dust off. Gonna need a mask for this one...



I'll need the wheels of anyway soon, either to check and bleed and generally work on the brakes or to get them painted, "new" rear tyres etc, so to finish, I'll get it back on the stands, while the tyres are still full!